CBD Use During Pregnancy – Any Effects On Fetus?
What Is CBD Hemp Oil?
When we talk about cannabis, there comes a strong concern which is the addiction; whether it makes you high or not. If we go according to the classification of cannabis, we find two major compounds that are currently being used in drug and health services; the first one being Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). This is the component that is responsible for the psycho-active stuff that might happen to the consumer. On the other hand, is Cannabidiol (CBD). This is the content that is not psychoactive. CBD Hemp oil is a processed form of cannabis that is extracted from those variants that are high in CBD and very low in THC. This allows you to take benefit from the painkilling and neuro-protective part of cannabis while simultaneously avoiding getting high.
Is Cannabidiol Safe for Pregnancy?
For anyone of you, pregnancy will always be a blessing. You would want to take care of your little one more than any other thing in this world. However, this journey won’t be easy. You will have to ride through a roller coaster of emotions and symptoms through these nine months. To get rid of at least some of these unpleasant symptoms, you might want to outreach towards the consumption of CBD oil, because let us be clear on this, any consumption of other cannabinoids might affect your and your baby’s health.
Even if research regarding the impacts on fetus caused by using CBD is limited, health professionals should know if it is suitable for you to use CBD oil when pregnant. A lot of women have reported that nausea, caused by pregnancy are reduced by using CBD oil.
As of now, convincing data is needed to identify the impacts of CBD oil on an infant. Nonetheless, every developing fetus, even if it’s made up of two cells only, already has an endocannabinoid system that’s functioning. Endocannabinoid system is found in every human and with some animals as well. It is a system that is composed of neurotransmitters that collaborate with cannabinoid receptors called endocannabinoids.
Let it be clear to you that any substance during pregnancy could be concerning. Although there are no profound adverse effects observed as yet. However, CBD use during pregnancy should always be guided by a health care expert.
Conditions in Pregnancy Affected by CBD
Cannabinoids affect our body by working in coordination with our body’s endocannabinoid system. It has pronounced effects on the following conditions faced during pregnancy:
- Morning sickness
- Chronic pain relief
- Premature contractions
- Post-partum blues
Let’s just go through an overview of the use of Cannabis in these following conditions.
- Nausea and vomiting are basically our body’s built-in mechanisms to prevent digestion of extra stuff.
- However, in pregnancy, this reflex shoots the bar, especially in the first three months.
- The consumption of cannabis helps the body to activate a neurotransmitter called 5hydroxytryptamine.
- This neurotransmitter helps the body to slow the expulsion reflex and thus helps to reduce these symptoms.
- The first trimester, in most of the cases; comes with the package of morning sickness.
- The moment you get out of bed, you have the feeling of a worsening hangover. This symptom is also greatly relieved by the use of cannabis.
- Throughout your pregnancy, the increasing weight of your baby exerts significant pressure on your lower body and back.
- This leaves you with restlessness and backache.
- The ability of cannabis to subside pain helps you out here and alleviated your symptom.
Chronic Pain Relief:
- If you have a pre-existing complaint of pain, given the current status of your pregnancy, this pain might increase a bit.
- With the consumption of cannabis, your body helps you narrow down this signal transduction and tries to transmit lesser pain signals.
- This will help you in cases like this to fight chronic pain that increased during pregnancy.
- Premature deliveries are being really common these days due to a million causes. One of these causes is a premature contraction.
- Your body, under certain conditions, tries to expel the baby causing a premature delivery.
- However, according to a study done in 2010, the use of cannabis actually inhibited the premature myometrial (uterine) contractions.
- This helped in several cases where cannabis was given in order to sustain the pregnancy a little bit longer.
- Many patients have reported increased depression after their delivery.
- CBD helps to activate serotonergic signaling through 5ht1a receptor defense mechanism.
- This helps to activate ‘the happy chemicals’ of our body and helps to fight depression.
CBD Oil While Breast Feeding
If you go for cannabis that is high in THC while you are breastfeeding your child, this chemical will affect your baby’s health. But if you want to alleviate the symptoms while keeping an eye on your baby’s health, then going for CBD hemp oil will be your safest option as this does not contain harmful compounds that might get transmitted to your baby through you. Hence, the effects of CBD on fetus will only take place if the wrong product is selected.
As of today, the most talked about issue regarding the use of CBD oil for nursing moms is that need for a further scientific study which should be performed on breastfeeding women. There are various studies created regarding tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), but the results about it are nothing good. The major concern here is its impact on breast milk and the infant. Please take note that endocannabinoids play an essential role when it comes to giving birth. An embryo that is newly fertilized needs to stick to the lining of the uterus right after sexual intercourse. A particular amount of anandamide is needed during this process, and anandamide is an endocannabinoid. CB1 receptors are what fertilized eggs uses, which is also the receptors that THC collaborates with.
Moms with postpartum depression frequently encounter complications when it comes to nursing infants. If your case turns out to be more serious, then you have to consider the ratio between its benefits and the risk you’ll take. There is no doubt that CBD oil will help you a lot in dealing with your postpartum depression. However, there is no concrete proof that would identify its effect on infants.
Pregnant women have used cannabis since over the years to alleviate the symptoms that trouble the, during their pregnancy like nausea, vomiting, body aches, depression, etc. But let’s be honest, you won’t for a second, compromise your baby’s health. So, the safest option for you is to avoid cannabis that is high in THC because there is a new solution to these problems which is CBD hemp oil. This is much safer for your baby and will help you out in reducing your symptoms. Take care of yourself along with your little one.