How To Extract CBD From Hemp Or Cannabis?
Cannabinoid is an acronym of cannabidiol compound that is commonly found in Cannabis. it is an extractive process in which cannabis or hemp plants are made to release some CBD-rich products. As a health supplement, Cannabinoid is used to offer some relaxation to the body. But how is it made?
Is there a difference between Cannabis and hemp plant Cannabinoid ?
Extraction of Cannabinoid from either cannabis (medical marijuana) or Hemp plant is possible. From whichever source it is extracted, some differences are likely to be noticed. The most notable and important difference will be the quantity of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)) and Cannabinoid found in the end product. Cannabinoid originating from cannabis has high levels of Cannabinoid with minimal levels of THC while that emanating from the Hemp plant has more tetrahydrocannabinol than Cannabinoid.
How To make CBD vape oil
Mainly, there are three methods used in the extraction of Cannabinoids from either hemp plant or cannabis. They include: The CO2 extraction, the ethanol extraction, and the oil method
1. CO2 CBD Extraction
- This method uses high pressurized carbon dioxide at very low temperatures to ensure that a very pure form of Cannabinoids is extracted.
- The high pressure coupled with low temperatures help in making the CO2 “supercritical” since it has both gas and liquid properties.
- The supercritical fluid acts as a non-toxic solvent that when added to hemp, it liberates any hidden phytonutrients
- The low temperatures are to ensure that no heat sensitive vitamin or enzymes are destroyed.
- The high pressure ensures that there are isolation and preservation to guarantee the purity of the product.
- The pressure ensures that substances such as chlorophyll and residue are completely removed since some of the neurotoxic solvents may affect the immune system if not removed.
- The CO2 is finally released and a very concentrated pure extract is left.
- This method is sustainable and safe and uses very sophisticated equipment to compress the CO2.
2. Ethanol CBD Extraction
- The ethanol method can use high grain alcohol to make high-quality CBD.
- This oil is appropriate for use in vape pen cartridges.
- This method harms some useful natural oils
- Ethanol extracts the chlorophyll making the end product to have an unpleasing taste and color
- The chlorophyll can be eliminated through filtration, but this step results in the removal of Cannabinoid, making the oil less potent.
3.CBD olive Oil Extraction
- Olive oil can be used in the extraction of Cannabinoid.
- Olive oil is used as a carrier oil in the extraction process.
- The method had gained a lot of popularity associated with the additional nutritional benefits inherent in the extraction.
- This method is considered safe and does not result in any unwanted residues.
- The only good aspect of this method is that it is a very simple process that only requires heating up the oil and simply filtering the extract.
Clearly, extracting Cannabinoids from Hemp or cannabis is possible from any of the already discussed methods. Therefore, the onus primarily rests on the consumer to determine how to extract it. Do you need a concentrated CBD or are you looking for the cheaper and simpler option? If you answer this, you will find the appropriate method.