Does CBD Oil Work For Insomnia?
Cannabidiol, a major component in cannabis, is packed with several health benefits and some of its medical properties include anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, anticonvulsant and anti-depressant. Though some people immediately write off cannabidiol when they learn it comes from cannabis, they also ought to know that CBD minimizes the side effects caused by THC, the high causing component of cannabis. How CBD cures insomnia is dose dependent! If cannabidiol is taken in smaller doses, it can cause people to be alert and awake and higher doses can cause people, even insomniacs to sleep. This article focuses on the question: Does CBD Oil work for insomnia?
What Is Insomnia?
Insomnia or sleeplessness is a condition where people have difficulties with sleep. People affected by the sleeping disorder do not easily fall asleep or when they do, they only for sleep for a short while. Insomnia can be a result of an underlying medical problem or a stand-alone medical problem. Its duration varies from a few days to several months. Females and people over the age of 65 are at higher risk of being affected by insomnia than males and younger people respectively. Insomnia is caused by several factors including:
- Medical conditions such as chronic pain, asthma, and arthritis;
- Anxiety – suffering from post-traumatic stress and worrying and thinking too much can easily rob people of their sleep;
- Unhealthy sleeping patterns;
- Work – working shifts or late at night;
- Food – eating a heavy meal just before going to bed can deprive you of your precious sleep;
- Stimulants and sedatives – alcohol (sedative), caffeine and nicotine (stimulants) can affect your sleeping patterns. Insomniacs are advised to avoid ingesting caffeine when they are almost going to bed;
- The brain – brain neurotransmitters that are responsible for sleep can be tempered with and cause lack of sleep.
Types Of Insomnia
There are three types of insomnia:
- Transient insomnia – it does not last for more than a week and can be caused by stress, depression, changes in sleeping time & sleeping environment.
- Acute insomnia or short-term insomnia – it does not last for more than a month. People with acute insomnia do not get quality sleep although they may have the time and opportunity to get a good night’s rest.
- Chronic insomnia – it lasts for more than a month and may cause double vision, hallucinations, and mental fatigue.
Symptoms Of Insomnia
Some of the most common symptoms of insomnia include:
- Inability to sleep at night;
- Failing to maintain sleep during the night;
- Depression and anxiety;
- Lack of concentration;
- Trouble remembering things;
- Prone to errors and accidents;
- Constantly worrying about sleeping.
Cannabidiol And Sleep Disorders
CBD Oil has some anxiolytic (ability to reduce or relieve anxiety) properties. Due to its anxiolytic properties, Cannabidiol reduces eye movement (REM) sleep. During REM sleep or paradoxical sleep, your brain is very active but your muscles are paralyzed. Dreams occur during REM sleep. REM sleep is effective in enhancing learning capabilities, especially in children. If ingested in higher doses, cannabidiol causes a considerable increase in sleep time but inhibits dream recall. CBD rem sleep is shorter, but the overall sleep is longer.
CBD Oil Dosage For Sleep
Administering a CBD tincture for sleep just before bedtime is a good way to make sure that a person gets a peaceful and restful sleep. Although there is no known dosage that is approved by doctors, it is recommended that adults initially take high doses of cannabidiol. It is advisable to use a tincture because the number of drops taken can be varied until the individual finds the dosage that works best for him/her. The doses taken can be increased over time until the optimum dose is found. The dosage varies from person to person. As a precaution, CBD oil for sleep should not be administered to children under the age of 15.
Cannabidiol is also making waves for curing or lessening the effects of insomnia. A few people have shared their stories of how they overcame insomnia by using CBD and here is one of them?
- Stephen Lee claims that he was cured of insomnia within a day of using cannabidiol. He shares his story via a video on YouTube.
Although it is still unknown how CBD oil actually cures insomnia, there is a general consensus that cannabidiol is effective in combating insomnia. It can also be used in conjunction with other sleeping disorder medication in order to increase its effect on insomnia. More tests need to be done until we know the right dosage to use and how best to take it. In the meantime, people will rely on the available information and will continue to use CBD oil in order to have a good restful and sweet sleep.